If you can theme for phpbb
Well, no, I don't, and I sincerely don't intend to.
However, I have a few reasons to switch to Node.js + Bootstrap + MongoDB (which I was currently using):
- - Bootstrap: themes are swappable, and even though Bootstrap is already despised by hipster developers, it's still a very popular front-end website framework (with regular updates, which could help keep up with Web trends);
- Bootstrap: this website's theme is obsolete, and does not adapt well to handheld devices resolution and touch control. Bootstrap addresses that ;
- Node.js: scalable. A single physical server can handle thousands of connections (I had 300 000 connections in a single day at work a few weeks ago, the server handled it like a boss (CPU is an i5 and I have two 2GB DDR3 RAM)). If we ever want to have our popularity back, Node.js is a reliable technology;
- Node.js: trendy so, with a little communication (Twitter & Facebook), you can get strong and young developers interested (which may attract HTML5 game developers and technology enthousiats to BW)
- MongoDB: part from the NoSQL movement and is trendy;
- I'm willing to do it for free, on my spare time, and can come up with a prototype by next week because I love BW;
- I will try as hard as I can to migrate old data to this revisited version, and that includes: stats, posts / threads and user accounts (that may be the hardest part... how are the passwords encrypted in DB?);
- You might get users willing to maintain the website because people lo~ve Node.js.
I highlighted the word "trendy" because it is crucial.
There are two audiences in this website:
- - former users, like Kaitsu or Stick, that probably don't come here anymore because the forums are deserted;
- newcomers, and these don't come too because this website lacks content.
I may sound like a douche, but I believe this website needs way more than a new design. It lacks a mobile version, has too much sections and too few content, does not feel welcoming for a newcomer, and the list goes on.
If we ever wish to make this website cool again, we need something new. Something adapted to current trends, filled with projects, unique profiles and committed people. I am merely proposing the first step.
And I am not saying I will recreate this website. I will try, but I can't assume I will ever finish it. However, didn't you say we needed projects?
Here is my proposition: in three weeks, after your surgery and after you rest, I will probably have a functional prototype. If you like it, we can think about migrating the DB then the server on this new version. Else, well, there is no drawback. Everything stays the same.