The Life of a Burke

Chat about anything here. (No spam!)
Site Admin

The Life of a Burke

Unread postby mbisme » 03 Jun 2016, 06:36

So Synnthetic PMed me recently commenting on a few things, but one of the things he said is that I don't post all that much (which is true, I wont deny that). So I figured maybe I would post a short update of what is going on in my life. Don't expect me to suddenly become super active on here, although I do check the forums a few times a day and read all the posts that people make.

I think the last time I really talked about my life was back when I used to live in Texas, so I will just talk about stuff following my move away from there. After I left Texas I moved to Virginia to finish school. Around 2-3 weeks before the semester ended I became very sick and was unable to attend school or really do much of anything. Some days I was completely bedridden and even simple tasks like eating were very difficult. Actually, eating was the main problem, and the pain would only go away if I didn't eat. I am not a large person, but while I was sick I lost nearly 40 pounds (around 25% of my total weight to give you an idea). Thankfully my parents were willing to let me move back in with them while I was going to the doctor and trying to find out what was wrong. I have never had so many doctor appointments, CT scans, or lab work done on my as what I did during this time period. This went on for around 2 years. It was a living hell, to say the least. Finally I found out what was wrong and asked the doctor if it could cause the symptoms I was having. After I learned that it could and finding out it is what was causing all my health problems I needed to schedule a surgery to get it fixed. The only problem is that my insurance wouldn't cover the operation. It took over 6 months of applying for medicaid before I was accepted and could have the surgery. Thankfully, the operation had no complications and I have been perfectly healthy ever since.

The problem is having been sick for over two years means I had been unemployed for over two years. I also didn't finish my degree. I was broke and no companies would hire me because it had been so long since I last worked. I decided I wanted to finish my degree, but there were no colleges near where my parents live. I started looking for colleges that I would be able to afford that also offered the degree I wanted. Most required me to move, and being broke I didn't have that option. I then found out that the church I attend has a special deal with a college offering online classes for my degree at an affordable rate. I jumped on the opportunity and am nearing the finish line. I have three semesters left if everything goes according to plan. I have even managed to find a part time job.

Hopefully I didn't bore anyone to death. I considered posting this in the thread Corban revived, but decided it was a bit too long for that and was somewhat off-topic. Sorry I don't really post more often, but I just don't really have that much time between work and school. If anyone has any questions I may be willing to answer, you just may have to wait a few days until I have enough time. How has everyone else been doing? Hopefully better than I have been.

Re: The Life of a Burke

Unread postby Synnthetic » 03 Jun 2016, 12:31

Well shit, if it's one thing being sick is good for, it's losing weight. Unfortunately, you didn't really need to lose it. As horrible as that sounds, at least you're better now. That's certainly a relief. But I can't believe people wouldn't hire someone simply because they were sick and needed to recover. If you quit and didn't look for a job because you're a bum, then sure, but for fuck sake... That's just stupid.

But things seem to be looking up now! And, once you finish your degree, you should hopefully be able to find an even better job and this will all fade into a blurry memory.

Meanwhile, most of us are going through college, same as you. I have another year and a half to go, but I'm visiting Colombia to begin my journey around the world at the end of this month. Next stop is Ireland, after I graduate.

Unread postby CommanderCool » 06 Jun 2016, 20:57

Wow, that sounds terrible but glad you got through it. Congrats on the perseverance. That's a lot to overcome. Explaining limbo periods is rough on a resume, but employers generally forgive prior lapses once you complete your degree. In the past three years, I've been involved in interviewing about ten people over four positions, then had slight input in around ten more hires (place had a lot of turnover), and I've found employers tend to default to thinking you are 22 plus the difference between this year and your graduation year. What field are you pursuing?

I'm not doing bad over here. I had been living in a very rundown house in an odd area but moved into a nice apartment last month. Did that to myself for cheap rent though, definitely not something I recommend. Trying to find a new job that's a little deeper into what I want to be doing though.

Unread postby Synnthetic » 12 Jun 2016, 16:40

Happy birthday, old man.

Site Admin

Unread postby mbisme » 12 Jun 2016, 17:50

In answer to what my major is, I am a Computer Info Tech major. After I graduate I plan on going into server administration with a focus on Linux.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, although I'm trying not to think about how old I am now... lol

Return to General Discussion