"I'm Kind of a Shinigami Too"

Discussion about comics/manga go here.

"I'm Kind of a Shinigami Too"

Unread postby CommanderCool » 19 Aug 2016, 01:27

I mean, we have to have a Bleach finale thread in here. If just in name, right? I was hoping the "special announcement" would be a
[Reveal] Spoiler:
spinoff manga focused on Kazui and Ichika that brought back that feeling of clueless kids fighting ghosts in their small town
, but I guess a
[Reveal] Spoiler:
live-action movie
is as congruent as an announcement can get with the weirdness of this cancellation wrap-up.

I don't have any problem with where all the characters ended up, but as somebody who was reading purely for completion rate at this point, I got what I should have expected: a roughly 1:1 ratio of loose threads to characters in the series.

Still, seeing Bleach officially end is kinda cool when it has been an incredibly small part of my life for the past 10-ish years. And it did provide a lot of creative motivation in the early years. I think I'm going to reread the Soul Society arc.

What are your thoughts on this?

Re: "I'm Kind of a Shinigami Too"

Unread postby Synnthetic » 19 Aug 2016, 01:31

I've been reading purely to see it end, too. Honestly, it's felt so empty lately... Like he was just pulling shit out of his ass just for the sake of it. I mean, I know you can't stay creative and tell as great of an arc every time, but when you feel it slipping, you should tie it off and let it go before it gets dragged down like that.

The final chapter felt lighthearted and reminded me of the early chapters, I loved it. But the ending was so... Sudden. It didn't feel like an end. It felt more like how the first chapter of what you described in the first spoiler should go. I don't feel like he really said his goodbyes clearly there, but Aizen did a good job attempting it.

Unread postby CommanderCool » 19 Aug 2016, 01:58

Yeah all the recent chapters have barely felt like part of the same linear story. Bach's motivation, essentially pulling a Code Geass to make everything one and negate despair, was never once clear to me until this chapter. It was definitely cool to get those final words out of Aizen, wherever he may be residing.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I hope somehow in some way Aizen is the Soul King.

I do love how Bach was carrying out on his promise from a few chapters ago to kill everybody in their happiest moment of the future, then Kazui just sticks his hand in there and solves it all.

I agree, the chapter itself was great and had a nostalgic feeling to it. There's just so much that should have happened before it.

Site Admin

Unread postby mbisme » 19 Aug 2016, 02:02

Well I have also been reading it just to see the end. So many loose ends, but to be entirely honest I don't want them wrapped up because I don't want to have to read more crap. I still don't know why the series didn't end when Ichigo beat Aizen, that should have been the end in my opinion.

Ultimately, all I can say about it ending is good riddence, now I can waste my time elsewhere.

Unread postby Synnthetic » 19 Aug 2016, 02:18

Exactly. The Aizen arc was perfect. Ichigo loses his powers, main antagonist is gone, peace is all that's left. I think the majority of readers felt the same; everything since then hasn't felt the same.

Unread postby CommanderCool » 19 Aug 2016, 04:12

I admit I did feel a little bit of "I'm free, I'm finally free" when I finished the chapter. I imagine we will at least get a confirmed alive/dead list when the final data book comes out. So many lives are up in the air.

Rukia fading away from a powerless Ichigo would have been such a strong ending. Aside from unknown Bankais, there weren't even too many loose ends after that arc too.

Unread postby Kaitsu » 25 Aug 2016, 02:14

We still never got to see Aizen's Bankai.

Unread postby CommanderCool » 28 Aug 2016, 02:46

It is highly possible that Kubo Tite is Aizen's Bankai.

Or a data book will come out and say he was always in Bankai.

Return to Comic (Manga)