Classic Pokemon!

Discussions about video games, videos, electronics, and etc go here.
Synnthetic

Classic Pokemon!

Unread post by Synnthetic » 08 Mar 2013, 00:41

I had to order a special security bit and batteries, but I now have working and saving Yellow, Silver, and Crystal. So, you know, bow down and shit.

CommanderCool

Re: Classic Pokemon!

Unread post by CommanderCool » 09 Mar 2013, 01:51

I'm rocking Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, and Silver over here. Never bought or played Crystal. Got all 150 on Yellow through completely legitimate means back in the day and that file goes unerased. My copy of Blue is all chewed up, but still works. They've always been in this small bin of mine with other Gameboy things. Funny now that I think of it, I always bring that bin with me when I move, placing it somewhere visible from my bed. I remember back in the day I found Silver on the ground at some park I always went to. Deleted that saved file so fast.

Also that nostalgia from turning them on. I think Gold is my favorite of the classics. Actually of all Pokemon games. I haven't played B/W or B2/W2 though.

Synnthetic

Unread post by Synnthetic » 09 Mar 2013, 02:07

I think my favorite is Silver. I like Crystal and all it's special shit, but Silver is one of my favorite colors and Lugia is a boss. I'll buy Red off you.

CommanderCool

Unread post by CommanderCool » 09 Mar 2013, 08:48

Yeah Silver is great too. I got Gold first cause I really like Ho-oh. I remember getting it on release day. I actually still have the boxes for all those games except Silver since I found it on the ground. Man, that feeling of seeing the three legendary dogs disperse then when you'd encounter them in battle. But not just that, on the first play through every fight felt equivalent to finding a Kangaskhan/Chansey/Pinsir in 1st gen. Safari Zone because they were all these awesome new Pokemon. And then that first time you realize you can go back to Kanto and play through the R/B/Y gyms, but you didn't know it was called Kanto because you were ten but you did know that it was awesome. Then Red on Mt. Silver was so badass. And how gameboy-smashing hard Whitney's Miltank was with the ridiculous Attract skill that'd always get followed by Rollout spam while your active just swooned over that cow. And of course when Silver realizes his faults after you thrash him for the nth time. 1st gen will always have the best Pokemon designs in my mind, but 2nd gen was sooo good.

I can't part with my copy of Red. SO much sentimental value in that guy. I've had that cartridge since I turned nine and I still pop it in my GBA from time to time.

Out of curiosity, how long does it take you to get from start through Vermillion City in 1st gen games when you're playing at a relaxed pace? For me, that point of getting the Thunder Badge always seems to occur at the six hour mark. Like I specifically remember as a little kid starting a new file to beat it in one day and I took six hours to get through Lt. Surge, and the most recent time I played took six hours too. And I remember noting the six hour mark Thunder Badge win on another playthrough awhile ago. It's weird. I have no clue why but that always happens.

Synnthetic

Unread post by Synnthetic » 09 Mar 2013, 12:46

I couldn't tell ya. My memory is shit so I can't recall back to when I was a kid, and recently I've only had time to play it while on break at work. I can tell you I don't rush through though. I take my take, explore to find new pokemon, and occasionally grind when I realize I'm not a high enough level to fight my rival / gym leader. I just made it to Cerulean City with my pokemon around lvl13, and my rival jumped me with lvl17 pokemon like a mad cunt.

Yeah, 1st gen will always be my favorite, but 2nd had some really nice designs. Tyranitar was a fucking beast. My favorite pokemon group will forever be Ghastly evo chain. I always keep an eye out for more cool ghost types, but nothing can compare to the original.

Image Image

CommanderCool

Unread post by CommanderCool » 09 Mar 2013, 22:37

Oh yeah I take my time too. That's the only way to go. I like getting an early Pikachu, so if I don't get lucky just running through Viridian Forest, I'll loiter there for a bit. I don't get any joy in speedrunning Pokemon games they're always relaxed adventures to me. I could see hardcore players disagreeing if they focus on link/wifi battles though. That was always a surprise when you'd find out your rival had leveled up so much more than you. Somehow the grinding in Pokemon has never felt "grindy" to me. I don't know, maybe I enjoy the overall game so much that it doesn't bother me as much as in other games with a grind factor. Maybe because there are so many quick rewards for grinding in Pokemon (i.e. chance to catch rare Pokemon, strength through leveling, new moves, evolutions).

I love the Gengar line. Haunter is one of my favorite Pokemon. The Alakazam line is my favorite family though. Abra has always been my favorite Pokemon with Mew coming up pretty close because gamesharking him back in the day was fun. Also Abra and Mew are adorable. I always would get an Abra though. My absolutely ideal lineup in Gen 1 was always 1) Blastoise 2) Arcanine/Ninetails 3) Alakhazam 4) Raichu 5) Marowak 6) Vileplume. Early game I would generally get a Butterfree, a Raticate, and start the Pidgeot line for fly, but I would stop using them as I filled out my lineup. I don't remember what my lineups would look like if I started with Bulbasaur or Charmander. I generally started with Squirtle.

That flowchart needs just a little bit more Attract but it is nearly 100% true. And I completely agree with the other image. There was no succeeding gym leader in gen 3 or 4 that gave me as hard of a time as plain and ruthless Whitney.

Synnthetic

Unread post by Synnthetic » 10 Mar 2013, 02:06

We have some similar tastes, and I plan on changing my lineup now that I saw Julie using Arcanine. I always get Gengar, Alakazam, and Golem. They're really powerful, but I lost my love for Golem in Soul Silver. He used to be really strong compared to most other Pokemon, but when I hit the Elite Four, he just kept getting his ass kicked, so I think I'm going to replace him. I couldn't give you a good representation of my standard lineup, but it always involves Gengar and Alakazam as soon as I can nab them. Marowak... I think I'll get him too. He's a really cool looking Pokemon~ Is he strong at all, or is it just sentimental value? Regardless, even if a Pokemon is completely overpowered, I wont get it if it looks stupid. That's why I have issues in Pokemon sometimes, because I base my team on appearance rather than usefulness. <3;;

I think another difficulty in the game is keeping the needed HM moves in your party, like Cut and Flash. I often find myself teaching them to a throwaway Pokemon and pulling it out of the computer just long enough to get through where I need to go. Surf and Fly are actually pretty strong in battle, though, so that's a relief. Same with Waterfall and Rock Smash.

Gotta ask, have you ever looked into the creepy Pokemon games, like Lost Silver and Creepy Black? Not the fan-made Ghost Black mod for Fire Red, the actual game the story was based on.

CommanderCool

Unread post by CommanderCool » 10 Mar 2013, 03:14

Arcanine is such a complete powerhouse. Ninetails was a good substitute for him on Blue, and I believe they're both on Yellow. Vulpix is another one of my favorites so I love Ninetails. But Arcanine just destroys everything in his path. If I recall, he is the strongest non-legendary in 1st gen. Maybe Dragonite beats him though. And Arcanine just looks awesome. I actually remember often considering Golem over Marowak a bunch, but I always go with Marowak partially because of how awesome she looks, a bit because of her rarity, a better overall moveset, and more TM versatility. Thrash and Skull Bash were cool Marowak attacks, but her Bonemerang attack was completely awesome cause if the first attack struck a crit then the second attack did too. So it always did a lot of damage, but had the potential to do more than a Hyper Beam with no recharge. Marowak isn't quite as base-stat-strong as Golem though so there is definitely a tradeoff. I go for cool looking ones all the time too. I really like Farfetch'd, Venomoth, Golduck, and Pinsir so I would play with them a bunch. Neeeever got a Beedrill or Fearow because I dislike how they look. I never got heavily into Pokemon PvP so I never got in the mindset of finding the most efficient build of them all. I never liked playing with legendaries either aside from a little Mew action.

I would totally do that too with HMs. An early Drowzee to use as a flash pawn, Lapras to take on Strength and Surf if I didn't want Surf on Blastoise. I agree though, Surf was a real good move. And sometimes I would level my Pidgeot with my main team or I would main Pidgeot just to use Fly. Similar to Fly, I loved Dig. I would teach that to Cubone/Marowak because that was such a strong/useful technique both in and out of battle.

I actually haven't even heard of those games. What are they like? I remember playing a fan-mod of Fire Red called Moemon where all Pokemon sprites were changed to anime-style little girls that each resembled their particular Pokemon. That was so ridiculously adorable.

Synnthetic

Unread post by Synnthetic » 10 Mar 2013, 13:09

To do list: Get Growlithe.

Lost Silver and Creepy Black both started as stories. Many believe them because it would be amazing if such games were circulating around, but then you have your usual buzzkills and skeptics. Anyway, for Lost Silver, the guy enters the tower with Ho-Oh in it and finds his party completely changed. All he has is his Quilava and the rest are now Unown that keep changing to spell different things. Basically a big glitch that continues to get creepier and creepier. Eventually, it looks more programmed into the game, like some morbid short story.

Creepy Black starts off normal enough, but instead of your usual starter, you get a Ghost like from the Pokemon graveyard tower. It only knows Curse, but it acts differently. Instead of dealing a set amount of damage, the screen fades to black and you hear the enemies cry. When it fades back in, the Pokemon is dead. After trainer battles, the guy had the option to even Curse the trainers, and after the screen did the fade-in fade-out scene, there would be a tombstone where the trainer was. So he went through the game abusing this power, but after the Elite Four, it did a time skip to where you were an old man. You go to the graveyard, and Ghost comes out, and wants to fight you. All you can do is flail, and after he kills you, you see every Pokemon and Trainer you killed like a slideshow.

Look up the stories if you're interested. The fan-made Lost Silver is fucking spectacular but don't bother with Ghost Black. It bastardized any creepiness the game was meant to have.

Kaitsu

Unread post by Kaitsu » 10 Mar 2013, 22:43

In Red/Blue, I'd exploit the fuck outta that glitch on Nugget Bridge to get weird Pokemon. It's the only way to get Mew in the game without a cheating device.