Classic Pokemon!

Discussions about video games, videos, electronics, and etc go here.
Synnthetic

Re: Classic Pokemon!

Unread post by Synnthetic » 11 Mar 2013, 00:19

...Wait, what? A glitch on Nugget Bridge? I just went through there an hour ago. What's the glitch?

CommanderCool

Unread post by CommanderCool » 11 Mar 2013, 01:25

Man that sounds interesting I'll have to check out Lost Silver. The premise of Creepy Black seems cool that sucks if the fan game went too far and failed to pull it off.

I remember the Nugget Bridge glitch. Also the S.S. Anne dock Surf secret that would get you to that little area with a truck blocking a cave entrance. Sooo many times I tried to used strength on that truck. People always told me there was a Pokeball containing Mew behind that truck. Lies.

Kaitsu

Unread post by Kaitsu » 13 Mar 2013, 20:35

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch

You can obtain other Pokemon this way too.

Synnthetic

Unread post by Synnthetic » 14 Mar 2013, 01:58

I see. So I can't do this glitch since I already beat the kid with the Slowpoke. Ah well. I don't have a Pokemon that knows Fly yet anyway.

EDIT: I have an Eevee. Wondering what to do with it. I already have a Pikachu, Charmeleon [to be replaced with Arcanine in the future] and an Omanite, so it's evolution's elements are already on my team...

Synnthetic

Unread post by Synnthetic » 21 Mar 2013, 16:16

I got a gameshark, since I can't do the mew glitch. But the sprite for any pokemon obtained via the gameshark looks like missingno. Will it fix itself eventually or do they stay fucked up? I don't plan to cheat through the game, I just want a Mew. ; ~ ;

CommanderCool

Unread post by CommanderCool » 21 Mar 2013, 22:24

Are you putting in the right codes for the right versions? I used a Gameshark as a kid, and I didn't have that problem. The code I would use was the one that turned all wild Pokemon into whatever particular Pokemon I wanted them to be, and then I would just catch it. Generally with a master ball obtained through the normal Cinnabar Island coast MissingNo infinite items glitch. I know for all cases when you do have a Pokemon that gets a MissingNo sprite, if you evolve the Pokemon then the evolution's sprites will be fine. But of course that doesn't apply to Mew since Mew is a basic Pokemon. I have my Gameshark with my Game Boy games. I'll boot it up a little bit later and see if I can get a Mew code that works.

Synnthetic

Unread post by Synnthetic » 22 Mar 2013, 01:05

Yup. Site I'm using is for Yellow, and it's the right pokemon, just... They're all glitched for the appearance. I tried multiple pokemon just in case and it's still glitchy...

CommanderCool

Unread post by CommanderCool » 05 Jun 2013, 23:33

I moved and never got to check that. My Game Boy and games are in a box somewhere I will probably unpack them over the weekend.

Also, I started a Nuzlocke on FireRed. I have lost my Butterfree, Catara, on Route 5 at level 18. I really like Butterfree and I was looking forward to getting her amped up in Diglett cave. Then on Route 11, I suffered the tragic loss of my level 21 Jigglypuff, Pippy. Pippy's death was really heartbreaking because I had decided she was going to be my main. I found her at level 3 on Route 4 outside of Mt. Moon, and the game just hasn't been the same since she died. I still remember how ridiculously excited I got to find Pippy as my first Pokemon on Route 4 (Nuzlocke rules mandate you can only catch the first Pokemon you find on a route, and any ones encountered after that must either be defeated or run away from), and how cool it was when I noticed she had like 200% the hp of all my other Pokemon and some epic defense to go with it. I taught her Mega Kick and she would one shot basically everything. It was a sad, sad moment when I had to release her.

After Pippy's death, I went back to the Daycare and grabbed my Meowth, Marin. I didn't like him at first because nobody could replace Pippy, but he sure has become great. He's a level 34 Persian now, but during his time as a Meowth he picked up sooo many nuggets off the ground. Without him, I wouldn't have been able to buy Flamethrower for Kain, my Arcanine.

Here is my current lineup:
Arcanine, lv32 (nickname: Kain)
Graveler, lv 34 (nickname: Barley)
Pidgeotto, lv 32 (nickname: Plunckette)
Venasaur, lv 33 (nickname: Briar)
Persian, lv 34 (nickname: Marin)
Primeape, lv33 (nickname: Petuline)

Petuline was my first catch at level 3. I almost lost her and Briar, and completely wiped, early in the game to my rival because I went in the direction of the Pokemon League with no leveling up whatsoever, forgetting about the optional rival battle there. The first time I've ever used Growl. Actually useful at that low of a level when the opponent is so much bigger and you're popping potions left and right.

Also, Barley showed me how strong Geodudes can be early-game. Under-leveled across the board, I fought my rival early-game (Nugget Bridge) and popped out Barley when my rival brought out his huge Pidgeotto (like 3 levels above Pippy, who was at least a level above all my others at the time). Barley sat there Defense Curling over and over till his defense was as high as it would go, then I popped a super potion and took out his Pidgeotto. Even though he was my lowest level, and my highest level was even lower than my Rival's lowest, nothing could break through Barley's defense.

I'm in Saffron with four badges. You should start a Nuzlocke too and let me know how it goes. I'll update here with mine if you do too. It's almost like playing a completely different game, and it is pretty interesting to look at other people's experiences with them.

Synnthetic

Unread post by Synnthetic » 06 Jun 2013, 12:12

Holy shit, that's intense. I heard of Nuzlocke forcing gamers to build an incredibly strong bond with their Pokemon, and all of this just really proves it. Pretty emotional stuff you got there. I love your decision to nab an Arcanine, those guys are super powerful and pretty cool. However, I could never do a Nuzlocke. I'm a very angry gamer, so if I lost a Pokemon and had to level up another one in it's place, I'd get VERY pissed and probably throw my GBA. I'm already rather annoyed that I decided to switch out my lvl32 Vaporeon for the lvl15 Lapras. Leveling up Pokemon is such a pain without that EXP Share item. I don't think Yellow has that...

But please do keep me informed anyway, I really enjoyed reading that little story. I wanna know how it goes!

CommanderCool

Unread post by CommanderCool » 07 Jun 2013, 03:37

Yeah I'm actually playing on an emulator because I know I would destroy my GBA if I played on an actual cartridge. EXP Share, despite its usefulness, is so annoying in the first gen games where holding is not yet a component of Pokemon. But yeah I got so lucky to find a Growlithe as my first Pokemon in that area where they are, just like I did with Pippy. I spent 80,000 Pokebucks buying the TM for Flamethrower from the Celadon Game Corner so I could Fire Stone him into an Arcanine instead of waiting till level 49 when he would naturally learn Flamethrower (sucks that Arcanine does not learn it, or anything for that matter, through leveling). I actually sweeped Erika's entire gym of strong and independent women with Kain when he was just a Growlithe. Didn't even have to go to the Poke Center. When I fought Erika, he got pretty injured in the final battle so I had Plunckette finish the job since Flying types can dominate Erika.

Also, when Hyper Fang and Self-Destruct get used on any of your Pokemon, you just get this sinking feeling that everything is about to end for your active. Hyper Fang is actually how I lost Pippy. And Catara come to think of it. Kain took a Self-Destruct and barely lived from it. Now, whenever I fight a Ratatta, Ratticate, Koffing, Weezing, Voltorb, or Electrode, I have Barley, and only Barley, do the fighting because he can brush off those moves any day.

Snorlax was a stressful fight. He could have two-hit any off my Pokemon so I used potions constantly. Didn't even try to catch him. I think in the end I realized Petuline could dominate him with Low Kick. Yeah, I'll definitely keep you updated here. If you ever happen to start a Nuzlocke on emulator to save your GBA from death, let me know.

But back to luck finding cool Pokemon, I found 3+ Pikachu just walking through Viridian Forest in the beginning of the game. I so rarely find one when I'm trying. Of course, I couldn't catch them because Catara the Caterpie had already joined the team. Now I'm sad cause Catara died.