Black Crystal THE GAME

Projects that are based around games go here.
StickofDoom

Black Crystal THE GAME

Unread post by StickofDoom »

I need to get this game more out there.

So yes, this game will have a simple weapon system (something I've never done before).
Weapons are categorized as heavy objects or one handed weapons.

I need some more ideas for large objects xD

I got a rock and a crate for now. need at least a good 5-8 more.

Some One-Handed Weapons
Throwing a wine bottle and shattering

Halberd

A whip!
Kirb

Re: Black Crystal THE GAME

Unread post by Kirb »

Hey Stick, I just got a few questions.

How far along are you in development of this game? Is there a demo I can play around with?

Seeing as there is a baseball bat as a weapon, I'm guessing ideas aren't limited to a certain day in age? Meaning pretty much any objects could be deemed appropriate? If that's the case I have a few in mind already...

And one final question, what type of game is this? Side-scrolling beat em up?
StickofDoom

This is still in the extreme early stages, where I'm only programming the main character and the basic gameplay system.

Yes, this game is a side scrolling beat em up, with some RPG elements like leveling up.
And well, the age thing is not TOO limited, but it should be nothing too industrial.

I haven't really decided the era of Kuro's world, but I do know that it's not technologically advanced with like computers and TVs. A typical RPG world if you will.

And sorry, no demo's to be released yet.

Bomb
http://i.minus.com/iDM6Uwk6Yywlb.gif
Kirb

Unread post by Kirb »

Sorry for the delay... Also LOVE the bomb.

My friends and I were having an open discussion about your game the other night, and when I said that we would need to come up with some big objects, not weapons per-say... but objects in general... I have to tell you that they were a little stumped... Not as if they couldn't grasp the concept or anything like that; but I heard repeatedly that a little more information about the origins, and the world would be needed. They said there wasn't much to go off of, and one even suggested that you were limiting yourself. These aren't exactly my thoughts entirely... but I do agree with some points.

However, you have said you haven't yet decided the age of Kuro's world. And if that's truly where you are, we certainly don't want to rush you and push you to select a time frame just so that we can feel more comfortable. Your idea, your project, your work. It has to have some thought put into it, just like every other aspect of the project.

So let me just say, that we really couldn't think of any large objects that weren't weapons... but here are a few things I/they thought of.

-Barrel(Rolls and take out multiple targets, would break after 2 or 3 collisions)
-Skulls(I thought that skulls or bones would be a nice little addition, if they could be plucked from the ground or something like that)
-Spike Ball and Chain( I don't think you have an object yet that can take out enemies from the front AND back simultaneously... this could be quite handy in situations with overwhelming enemies present)
-Shuriken(Maybe a little naruto action? But again.. don't know your time frame here)

And finally some wishful thinking... Nunchucks? He looks like he could sport them well.
StickofDoom

Barrels were brought up a couple of times, but I weren't sure how to code it exactly. But your description helped, so yes I will use that thanks.

As for the others, I'm going to have to see if I can implement those without changing too much of the system of how I coded the weapons. Small throwable weapons like a shuriken would be perfectly fine, but I'm not sure if it really adds much. The thing is I don't want to make too many weapons that are basically the same. The spike ball and chain would be a great addition, but again, just not sure how to program nice and smoothly like the way I did with the rest.

About the time line, I've decided that it should be sometime before any major advancement in electronics and technology (so like no TV's, computers, etc.), and also around a hint of medieval time (knights, swords, kings)

But yeah, those ideas are definitely helpful, thanks.
Kirb

Unread post by Kirb »

So where are you with this right now Stick? I have another discussion with my friends tomorrow, I was thinking of getting some Black Crystal talk in.
StickofDoom

I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't been working much. I'm still adding in some more weapons, but after that I have to finish programming teh rest of his skills.
Infinity

Unread post by Infinity »

Awesome, I haven't seen this game in a long time...

Just out of curiosity, what programming language are you using for this?
Kirb

Unread post by Kirb »

@Stick- Oh okay, well when you have the time I would really love to see some more of what you have, even if it's just a tiny addition.
StickofDoom

LOTS OF UPDATES?

lifebars and "exp balls"

having fun with balls

exp balls get into infinite loop by accident

just made an unecessarily flashy level up