Goupé

Projects that are based around games go here.

Goupé

Unread postby Dokuto » 26 Jun 2012, 18:52

Goupé is a moderately paced 2.5d platformer that me and a group of students are working on as part of our final project. We have just finished our Alpha sprint and are currently working on our Beta sprint. However, since all we do is look at and play the game constantly we have started to lose track of what counts as difficult or not. Thus one think we would like is for more people to play the game, get a feel for it, and give us a broader spectrum of data to work with. The game is inspired by platformers like Super Meat Boy and is thus designed to be difficult, though not unbearably so.

Features:
Single Player play through
Multiplayer section race
Level Forge(levels are currently unplayable outside of Forge)
Super Meat Boy Style Replays in credits
Unlockable Hats

Short trailer displaying the replays in credits:

Indie DB link(Download can be found here):
http://gameproject.fullsail.com/gpgames ... /08/goupe/

Controls:
Arrow Keys/WASD- Move
Spacebar- Jump
Shift- Unstick

Any kind of response or criticism is very encouraged and welcomed. You may either respond to this thread, on the Indie DB page, send me a private message, or send an email to us at DualWieldingWolves@gmail.com.

If you encounter a bug, please let us know about it and tell us how you stumbled across it.

I am one of the programmers for the game, and I am willing to answer any questions you may have about any of the systems involved or the code base.
Last edited by Dokuto on 28 Aug 2012, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Goupé

Unread postby CommanderCool » 29 Jun 2012, 07:53

I really like the graphics and idea of this. The install was gigantic though. Few things bothered me: The death sound is quite loud and sounds like a human vomiting, the idle sound is very loud and kind of sounds like static, and moving left and right almost feels as if one is playing a Mega Man game where the ground is all ice. In other words, there is a very slippery feel to horizontal movement, whereas vertical movement feels to stop right when I take my finger off the up button. But this is really cool. I love the little hat on him. Good job.

One final thing, if you guys are looking to expand your team further into gaming, be wary of the name GP Games (ala Gas Powered Games).

Unread postby Dokuto » 29 Jun 2012, 15:19

Thank you very much for the feedback. I apologize for the installer size, that could be either how one of our programers set it up, the Wwise audio system, or our artists being a little too crazy with their texture sizes. We have plans in the future to cut most of our texture sizes in 1/4, which should help that issue.

The sounds were all placeholders that we were given, so we didn't really have any control on what they were. The next version we release will hopefully have actual sounds for our game. I do agree though that they are rather annoying, and even I personally play with the sound off.

In regards to the slippery ground movement, did you feel that because it seemed to move after you let go or because of the constant velocity for horizontal movement?

Also, GP Games(Game Project Games) is the name that our university uses for all of the final project games.

Unread postby CommanderCool » 01 Jul 2012, 23:05

On slippery movement, I felt that way because it seemed to still move a bit (I can't remember if there was deceleration or not) after I let go of the key. In games that focus on jumping and ascension, I always think horizontal movement is more intuitive when it acts similar to vertical movement, since the focus on jumping gives the player stronger familiarity to the vertical movement physics. You have the vertical movement set so acceleration stops either at a certain limit (to prevent flying) or when the up button is released (at which point gravity immediately takes over and you fall back to the ground) right? When a player is used to that as the primary mode of movement, similar expectations get projected onto other movement controls. Not necessary make horizontal movement conform to vertical movement (they are different after all with gravity and whatnot), but I liked giving my controls precision on the movement speeds when I made games with lots of jumping that also often involved rather precise movements through obstacles.

I look forward to the finished product though. I liked the little riff going on over the trailer. Best of luck.

Unread postby Dokuto » 28 Aug 2012, 06:02

The game has been finished.

After another two months of work, we have finally finished the game. A download (with a thankfully much smaller installer) can be found here:
http://gameproject.fullsail.com/gpgames ... /08/goupe/

For the most part, these past two months were mostly just a huge polish fest because we couldn't really fit anymore features in without going overboard (Though one my producers loved to give me new features to do in the last month).

If you download the new version, please let me know what you think.

Return to Games